The Holiday town of Anstruther, an attractive collection of cottages, is situated on the Firth of Forth in the East Neuk of Fife. As a holiday town, Anstruther is made up of the villages of Anstruther Easter and Wester, the old fishing village of Cellardyke and the inland village of Kilrenny.
Anstruther Easter, lies between Caddys small river on the east and the Dreel small river on the west.
Anstruther is home of an award winning fish and chip shop, the Anstruther Fish Bar, well worth a tea time visit. Even with the general decline of the Fishing industry Anstruther is still a great attraction because of the Fife Coastal Path and the Scottish Fisheries Museum not to mention the fish and chip shops. The museum is housed in old fishermans cottages and in the 16th century the site was used by the monks from Balmerino Abbey.
The harbour of Anstruther was the capital of the winter herring boats and close to it stands the Scottish Fisheries Museum which was opened in 1968. Other famous buildings of note include St Adrian's Parish Church, the Mercat Cross , the Old Corn Mill and Melville Manse built in 1590 by the Rev James Melville.
There are also remains of Dreel Castle, built in 1663 by Sir Philip Anstruther and visited by Charles II who gave its tower rooms the name a craw's nest. The name now of a fine Hotel and Restaurant in the town. This castle was the meeting place of the notorious Beggars Benison of Anstruther, a secret society.
Anstruther Wester is situated to the west of the Dreel River. Among many fine old merchants' houses stands the former parish church of St Nicholas (now St Adrian's Church Hall) with its 16th-century bell tower.
An attractive coastal village with many interesting old buildings and cottages Anstruther is now a Conservation Area. For visitors there are sea fishing, diving, swimming and lawn bowling, as well as a fine 9-hole golf course, and small boat trips daily to the Isle of May.
Castaway Cottage Home Page