St Athernase Leuchars Fife

St Atherenase is a twelfth Century Norman Church located in the Village of Leuchars in Fife. One of the best examples of Romanesque architecture in Scotland. The chancel and half round apse also date to the 12th century, exterior blind arcades have Norman detailing. The Church was dedicated to St Athernase and was granted by Ness, Lord of Lochore to the Canons of St Andrews in 1185. A belfrey was added in 1700.


st-athernase-fife-arch.JPG

st-athernase-fife-carving.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-apse.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-arches.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-norman-detail.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone-2.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone-3.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone-4.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone-5.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone-6.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone-7.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone-8.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-stone.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard-tower.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyard.JPG

st-athernase-fife-churchyardfife-kirk.JPG

st-athernase-fife-cvault.JPG

st-athernase-fife-face.JPG

st-athernase-fife-gargoyle.JPG

st-athernase-fife-interior.JPG

st-athernase-fife-kirkyard.JPG

st-athernase-fife-lights.JPG

st-athernase-fife-roman-windows.JPG

st-athernase-fife-sone-face.JPG

st-athernase-fife-stained-glass.JPG

st-athernase-fife-stone-slab.JPG

st-athernase.JPG

Return to Castaway Cottage Home Page